One of Modica’s main attractions is undoubtedly its cuisine. Relatively newly-arrived on the tourist trail, Modica supports a wealth of excellent eateries ranging from the delicious scacce and arancini
Until recently, established businesses had to survive on local custom and so standards are uniformly high.
Locally produced wines are available everywhere and there is absolutely no reason to turn your nose up at the house red offered in most restaurants. Enoteche (wine merchants) such as Pisana Antonio & Susino Giovanni adjacent to the Grana Barocco Art Hotel on Corso Umberto (map) also offer a huge range of reds and whites from the region together with suitable nibbles. If you enjoy red wine the local Nero d’Avola grape won’t disappoint – and there are plenty of Nero’s to chose from in restaurants and bars.
Given the wealth of information and reviews on Tripadvisor it seemed silly not to use it. And below, the listing of our favourite restaurants.
- La Contea. Our excellent local pizzeria and renowned in Modica as the best of the best in the face of some very serious competition.
Via Clemente Grimaldi, 17, 97015 Modica. TripAdvisor
- A Putia ro vinu. Possibly our favourite Sicilian restaurant. Small, intimate and very friendly. Not too expensive either!
Via Pisacane , 34, Modica. TripAdvisor
- La Gazza Ladra. The top end of Modica cuisine. Amazing.
Via Blandini, 5, 97015 Modica TripAdvisor
- Osteria dei Sapori Perduti. Authentic Sicilian cuisine. Multilingual menus.
Corso Umberto I, 228, 97015 Modica Tripadvisor
- Bella Napoli. Another great pizzeria.
Via Arancitello 6, Modica. TripAdvisor
- La Perla. Yet another pizzeria. Inside tables can be cramped off season.
Via Giardina, 4, 97015 Modica. TripAdvisor
- Rosticceria Piccolo Bar. Try an authentic Sicilian scacce, or arancino. No English spoken but the owners are incredibly helpful and friendly. If you have some basic Italian (click here for some useful phrases) you’ll be fine.
Piazza Giacomo Matteitti, Modica
- Not strictly a dining experience, but Modica’s most famous family-run confectioners L’Antica Dolceria Bonajuto. English version of the website. Visit the website for more information on Modica’s unique and delicious chocolate. Not to be missed.
Corso Umberto Io n.159, Modica. TripAdvisor